A research project is currently underway to write a complete history of Tollard Royal.
In brief, our history takes the following path:
Tollard appears in the Doomsday book in 1086. The land at Tollard, and neighbouring Farnham, was listed as in the ownership of Aiulf, chamberlain and sheriff of Dorset.
There was a church in Tollard Royal in 1291. In 1412 £10 was donated to build a new bell tower. The name St Peter’s or St Peter in Chains dates from circa 1469.
The village was known simply as Tollard until the 16th Century The suffix “Royal” came into use in the 16th Century and is said to be attributed to King John who used the area as a royal hunting ground. In 1605 Baron Arundell of Wardour held the title to Tollard Royal. Lord Arundells name appears on the deeds of Hope Cottage in the Village as the originally owner. Circa 1817 the Wiltshire part of the Tollard parish was sold to Thomas Grove.
A school attended by some 40 children existed in 1818. The remaining part of the Estate was sold c 1819 to George Pitt, Baron Rivers. Between 1880 and 1885 Pitt-Rivers, the archaeologist and anthropologist, who owned most of the parish built a pleasure garden known as the Larmer Tree Grounds. Within the grounds stood the Larmer Tree, a wych-elm, then dead, that tradition claims that courts were held for Tollard Manor.
you can read more here on Wiltshires website https://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcom.php?id=227
Archive of Minutes
Tollard Royal Parish Council was formed in 1894 and records have been made in Minute Books of every meeting held up to the present day. The historical minutes are kept in the Archive at Trowbridge. A photographic record can be found in the History of Tollard Royal
Tollard has a history of celebrating the Coronation and the Jubilee – 2012 was no different
Tuesday April 30 1935
“The object of the meeting was to arrange for Jubilee celebrations. It was proposed by Mr Betteridge that the church bells be rang from 6.30 to 7, and that here be a service at church at 7pm followed by tea at the King John Hotel finishing up with a social. This was carried unanimously carried and Mr Allen agreed to give the big room for the purpose”.
April 27th 1953
“a report was given on the coronation programme stated that there was just over £50 in hand and it was proposed to have an open air service at the memorial in the morning, a fancy dress for the children and a supper in the evening followed by a torch light procession to Win Green – it was carried that a seat be erected in front of the memorial”.
12 October 1977
“It was unanimously agreed that the forthcoming jubilee should be celebrated in the village by a supper for all the inhabitants, a mug should be given to all the village children at a bonfire meeting on win green”. The village donated £106 for the Silver Jubilee in 1977.
It seems we have a long history of parties!
If you would like to add to the History of Tollard Royal please contact Kay Allen